Welcome to the Tachyon 4.1 documentation space. Here we describe all aspects of configuring and using Tachyon. Here's a quick overview of what the Tachyon documentation pages will tell you.
An overview of Tachyon is presented; what it does and how it can benefit your organization. An introduction to the features of Tachyon is provided, alongside a high-level explanation of the Tachyon architecture.
- Tachyon Features — An overview of all the Tachyon features and enhancements.
- Tachyon Architecture — A description of Tachyon Stacks and their Tachyon components, the Tachyon clients and how they connect to provide the Tachyon features.
How to quickly install, configure and run Tachyon for first use in a small scale lab, evaluation or pilot environment.
Everything you need to know about getting Tachyon installed and running in your network. This section is structured in a way that leads you through the three phases of a typical implementation project.
- Design Considerations — Information that will help you design and plan the implementation of Tachyon in your organization.
- Requirements — Information that will help you design and plan the implementation of Tachyon in your organization. This includes all the prerequisites and dependencies, which are necessary to install Tachyon.
- Preparation — What you will need to prepare in advance of implementing a Tachyon Server in your network. Typically these are tasks that may take some time to organize, depending on how your organization works. A more complete checklist of tasks is provided in Requirements.
- Installing and upgrading — How to set up Tachyon Server and deploy Tachyon clients, including a guide to upgrading.
- Verifying — Basic verification tests that cover a single-server installation of Tachyon Server. These tests only cover Tachyon and do not verify the configuration of 1E client modules with other 1E products.
How to use the Settings application to configure Tachyon system and application settings.
- Settings Features — An overview of the Settings application features.
- Configuration Menu — General configuration options for Tachyon.
- Monitoring Menu — Viewing Tachyon logs.
- Permissions Menu — Configuring Tachyon users, roles and management groups.
- Instructions Menu — Loading and managing Tachyon Instruction sets.
How to use the Explorer application to investigate, remediate issues and manage operations across all your endpoints in real-time.
- Introducing Explorer — An overview of Explorer is presented; what it does and how it can benefit your organization. An introduction to the features of Explorer is provided.
- Explorer Features — An overview of Explorer application features.
- Explorer Home page, questions and responses — How to frame questions in Tachyon and view the responses.
- Instructions — Viewing the instruction history, navigating instructions using the tasks page and scheduling instructions.
- The action approval workflow — How to run actions with approval.
- Tagging client devices — Tachyon client devices can have a number of custom tags assigned using Tachyon and the Tachyon clients. There are two types of tag: coverage tags, which can be used in the scopes for questions and actions to help target specific collections of devices; and freeform tags that can be queried and set using specific questions and actions.
- Using Device Criticality — Assigning Criticality to devices according to their importance within your organization.
- Exporting data from Tachyon Explorer — Results visible in Tachyon Explorer can be exported to files containing comma-separated values (CSV) or, in the case of the Export all option on the instruction response page, tab-separated values (TSV), and results can be marked for export at the point of asking a question to automate the process.
- Checking inventory and connectivity — The Tachyon Explorer lets you view the device inventory for your network including visibility of which devices are currently connected and can therefore be interacted with directly.
- Tachyon Activity Record — A description of the benefits of Tachyon Activity Record feature and how the data can be retrieved.
- Tachyon Quarantine — A description of the quarantine feature provided in the Tachyon client and implemented in the quarantine instructions present in the 1E-Explorer-TachyonCore.zip file.
How to use the Guaranteed State application to ensure endpoint compliance to enterprise IT policies.
- Guaranteed State Features — An overview of Guaranteed State features.
- Guaranteed State Concepts — Concepts used by the Guaranteed State application, which ensures device compliance with enterprise IT policies.
- Configuring Guaranteed State — What you need before using Guaranteed State.
- Integrated Product Packs — Guaranteed State includes a set of out-of-the-box policies known as Integrated Product Packs.
- Deploying a Policy — How to deploy a Policy in Guaranteed State.
- Defining your own policy — How to define a policy in Guaranteed State.
- Using Explorer to investigate devices in Guaranteed State — How to investigate devices displayed in the Guaranteed State pages using Explorer.
- Guaranteed State Overview page — The overview page shows a dashboard with six charts, that reflect the currently selected policy or all policies.
How to use the Patch Success application to report on and ensure successful patching of your enterprise.
- Patch Success Features — An overview of Patch Success features.
- Configuring Patch Success — What you need before using Patch Success.
- Title and filter bars — Information about the title and filter bars that appear at the top of all Patch Success pages.
- Patch Success Overview page — The overview page shows a dashboard with three charts and a pivot table, that are dynamically recalculated based on applied filters.
- Patch pages — Information about the patch pages:
- Device pages — Information about the device pages:
- Monitoring pages — Information about the device pages:
- Reporting and successfully patching a management group for a single KB - tutorial — A worked example of using Patch Success.
A general methodology for investigating issues with Tachyon, as well as identifying key issues and their resolutions.
- Known issues — Lists of the current known issues with implementing, configuring, using and extending Tachyon.
- Server installation issues — Troubleshooting common issues that you may be having with implementation.
- Client issues — Troubleshooting common issues that you may be having with installation and configuration of the 1E Client.
- Inventory issues
Information about tools used to extend Tachyon beyond the Tachyon Explorer.
- The Tachyon Toolkit — How to install the Tachyon Toolkit.
- Using Tachyon in Configuration Manager — How to use the Tachyon Configuration Manager extensions.
- Configuring Nomad Download Pause — The Nomad Download Pause feature lets you immediately pause or resume current and future Nomad downloads at the press of a button. It is integrated directly into the Configuration Manager console and lets you select the collections you want to control. The feature works by pausing Nomad's job queue and effectively pauses all downloads on that agent and those added later, until the queue is resumed. Tachyon is used as the medium to send the pause and resume actions to the devices in the selected
- Configuring NightWatchman Online Status — Configuring NightWatchman integration with Tachyon to provide online / offline status lights in the NightWatchman Management Center console.
- Installing TIMS — Tachyon Instruction Management Studio (TIMS) is a graphical user interface for authoring and testing Tachyon instructions, which can then be saved so they can be uploaded and used in your Tachyon system.
- Setting up custom Tachyon Instructions for the first time — A getting started guide to configuring and verifying your Tachyon system so that you can run customized Tachyon Instructions.
- 1E ITSM Connect — Integration between Tachyon and the ServiceNow ITSM (Information Technology Service Management) module is enabled using the 1E ITSM Connect app, which is available for download from the ServiceNow app store and can be installed on any ServiceNow instance.
- ServiceNow approvals for Tachyon — How to configure and use ServiceNow and Tachyon so that actions and scheduled instructions can be approved in ServiceNow.
An introduction to Tachyon training resources, including lab guides.
- Tachyon Operator v4.1 Lab Guide
- Tachyon Advanced v4.1 Lab Guide
- Tachyon - Nomad as Content Provider Lab Guide
All the list type information, such as installer properties, in alphabetical lists etc.
- Supported Platforms — A list of all the platforms supported by Tachyon, and the software required to allow Tachyon to be installed or to work.
- 1E Companion Products — A list of the feature dependencies between Tachyon and other 1E companion products.
- Server Sizing — Server sizing guidelines and recommended configurations for on-premises installation in customer environments.
- Communication Ports — A diagram and a table with a list of all the external Tachyon communication ports. Useful, if needed, for network and device firewalls.
- Naming conventions — Suggested naming conventions for repositories, connectors, and schedules.
- Log files — Names and locations of log files created by Tachyon Server, 1E Client, and Tachyon tools.
- Tachyon installation requirements on-premises — A summary of Design Considerations and Requirements for Tachyon 4.1 and 1E Client 4.1. It is comprehensive but may not contain everything that is in those pages.
- Server installers — Windows Installer properties for each of the Tachyon server installers.
- Tachyon Server reference — Reference information specific to Tachyon Server components of the Tachyon Platform.
- Tachyon client reference — Reference information for Tachyon client features of the 1E Client:
- Explorer reference — Reference information specific to the Explorer application.
- Integrated Product Packs reference — Reference information for each Integrated Product Pack, including their instructions, policies, rules, and fragments.
- Inventory reference — Reference information specific to the Catalog and SLA components of the Tachyon Platform:
- Tachyon release information — Details of the Tachyon release history, current release notes and details of third-party licenses.
- Tachyon Product Packs zip release information — Current release notes for the Tachyon Product Packs zip, and the release history.
- Glossary — A glossary of Tachyon terminology.
- Index — This is an alphabetically sorted list of all the pages in the Tachyon documentation, which you can use if you want to find a particular named page and you don't remember where exactly it lives in the documentation structure.