There are five types of Shopping applications:
Non-Configuration Manager applications – Non-Configuration Manager / non-Intune applications are not associated with any Configuration Manager or Intune package or program. They are free-form holders that allow you to hook any type of request into the Shopping Web and approval process. For example, you can create an application that is a request for additional RAM – this hardware obviously cannot be supplied via Configuration Manager. The application appears in the Shopping Web and when requested, is subjected to an approval process as for an Configuration Manager application with an associated approver.
- Configuration Manager applications – Configuration Manager Applications in Shopping are used to publish Configuration Manager Packages and Programs, Applications or Task Sequences to the Shopping portal. To create these applications the appropriate Configuration Manager Package and Program, Application or Task Sequence must already be created.
- Mobile applications – You can create officially sanction apps for your iOS, Android and Windows mobile users – they can shop for these on their mobile devices from the Shopping Web. Shopping acts as a pass-through to the app stores for the particular OS used when browsing to the Shopping Web. Mobile applications cannot be defined with approval. If the user requests a mobile app, they will receive it without any further interaction with Shopping.
- OS deployments – OS Deployment Applications enable self-service OS Deployment that includes a web-based OSD Wizard. An administrator creates an OS Deployment Application in the Shopping Admin Console that is associated with a specific Configuration Manager OS Deployment Task Sequence. Unlike other Applications in Shopping, OS Deployment Applications are made available in the Shopping portal using a banner. Rather than request the application, the user clicks a Launch button on the banner to launch the OSD Wizard, which walks them through a few steps and allows the user to schedule the deployment. Shopping deploys the Task Sequence to the target machine at the scheduled time.
- Windows Servicing Assistant Deployments – Similar to OS Deployment Applications, Windows Servicing Assistant Deployment applications are used to execute Configuration Manager Task Sequences to automate various OS deployment scenarios. It is a client-based wizard that is implemented with the Shopping module in the Tachyon 3.2 Agent and later.
Within these five types there are various configurations in terms of the types of Shopping applications you can create.
These are (but are not restricted to) applications:
- Visible to specific users or groups and those available to everyone
- With or without the need for approvals
- That vary approvers depending on the computer it is installed on
- With or without licensing
- Administered centrally or at a branch
- That determine AD membership.