Preparing a Configuration Manager Application for PXE Everywhere Agent using the 1E Client Deployment Assistant
The 1E Client Deployment Assistant (CDA) is used to create an Application in Configuration Manager that installs the PXE Everywhere agent with the appropriate settings and also adds the required Microsoft boot files from the Windows Automated Deployment Toolkit (ADK).
First download and extract the latest version of the1E Client Deployment Assistant (CDA) from the 1E Support Portal (https://1eportal.force.com/s/endpointagentinstallertopic).
Also check the 1E Support Portal (https://1eportal.force.com/s/nomadtopicdetail) to see if there are any Hotfixes for PXE Everywhere. Download the latest Accumulated Hotfix (Patch) and extract its MSP file to include in the CDA folder structure.
The following is a summary of steps described in 1E Client Deployment Assistant - Running the wizard: PXE Everywhere settings.
- Right-click the extracted 1EClientDeploymentAssistant.exe and select Run as administrator
- On the Welcome screen click Next
- On the License Terms screen accept the license and click Next
- On the ConfigMgr Connection page select, if you are running this on the CM site server select Local ConfigMgr Site Server. Otherwise, select Remote ConfigMgr Site Server and enter the site server name and username and password that should be used to connect to the CM site. In a multi-site hierarchy enter the name of the CAS site server. Click Connect to test the connection. Once connected, click Next
- On the General Settings screen, enter a UNC path for Application Content Source and Package Content Source. The wizard will create a 1E\PXE Everywhere\4.0.x.x folder in this location that will become the source for the CM Application Deployment Type. Do not check the Distribute Content checkbox (we’ll do that later). Click Next
- On the Agent Selection screen, uncheck all products except PXE Everywhere 4.0.0.x and enter a valid PXE Everywhere license key. Click Next
- On the PXE Everywhere 4.0.0.x screen, uncheck Create Package and leave the remaining settings as is. Click Next
- On the PXE Everywhere Settings screen
- Enter the location of the Windows ADK (the wizard needs to extract Microsoft files from the ADK and add them to the application source). If you are running the wizard on the CM site server, the ADK should be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit.
- Modify the PXE Everywhere Central web service URL, replacing pxe.contoso.com with the FQDN of your PXE Everywhere Central web server
- Click Next
- On the Summary screen, review the settings and click Create. The wizard will generate a Transform that includes all the custom properties and a CAB file that includes the files extracted from the ADK. It will then create a Collection, Application and Deployment in Configuration Manager.
- When the wizard completes, click Finish
From the Configuration Manager console, confirm that the CDA has created:
- an Application named 1E PXE Everywhere 4.0.0.x
- a Collection named 1E PXE Everywhere 4.0.0.x - Required
- required Deployments for the 32-bit and 64-bit Deployment Types to the 1E PXE Everywhere 4.0.0.x Collection
You should also confirm that the application source files include the following, after which you can distribute to Distribution Points.
- the PXE Everywhere agent installer
- an installer transform
- files extracted from the Windows ADK
Modifying the PXE Everywhere Agent installation command line to support DHCP Snooping
>When deploying 1E Client enabled PXE Everywhere Agent to support DHCP Snooping you will need to configure them to use port 2067, which is the default used by the PXEEverywhere Responder, or a custom port if used. The wizard for CDA does not currently support setting the port to 2067 therefore you will need to manually modify the installation command line of the Configuration Manager application, before deploying it to clients.
- From the Configuration Manager console, go to the Software Library workspace, expand Application Management > Applications and double-click the 1E Client Application to view the application properties.
- Select the Deployment Types tab then double-click the 1E Client x64 Deployment Type to view the deployment type properties.
Select the Programs tab and modify the Installation program command line, appending MODULE.PXEEVERYWHERE.DHCPPORT=2067 as indicated below. DHCPPORT must be in UPPERCASE as it defines a public installer property. If you need to use an alternate custom port, specify the correct port number with the DHCPPORT property. This port must match the AltServerPort defined on the PXEEverywhere Responder.
- Save the 1E Client x64 Deployment Type and repeat steps 2 and 3 for the 1E Client x86 Deployment Type.
Alternatively you can edit the MODULE.PXEEVERYWHERE.DHCPPORT installer property in the 1E.Client-x64-5.0.0.xxx.mst transform file created by 1E Client Deployment Assistant (CDA), and replace the MST file in the application content.
Deploying the 1E Client enabled PXE Everywhere Agent
You will need to distribute application source to Distribution Points.
Once distributed, simply add devices to the 1E Client 5.0.x.x - Required Collection in order to deploy the Agent to those devices.