Without management groups
Before describing the process for creating the management groups let's take a look at the Explorer application to see how things look without any management groups defined. The easiest way is to use the devices table in Explorer:
- Navigate to the Explorer→Devices→Table page.
- On this page you will see all the devices with the Tachyon client installed. In our example there are 12 connected devices.
- Clicking on the Management group filter edit field you can see that no management groups are present.
- Now switch to the Settings application using the Switch app menu.
- Navigate to the Settings→Configuration→Connectors page.
- Here you can check that a Tachyon connector has been added and tested.
Now we can start adding the management groups.
Checking the management groups in Explorer
The management group rules have now been evaluated and populated the management groups, it's now time to check how this has effected the Devices page in Explorer.
- Navigate to Explorer using the Switch app menu.
- Tachyon remembers that we were on the Devices page the last time we were in the Explorer application.
- Click on the Management Group filter. A menu pops up displaying all 6 of the new management groups.
- Selecting a management group from the menu filters the devices to show just the ones that belong to that management group.
- Clicking on the Sales management group shows that it contains just 1 device.
- Clicking on the Workstations management group shows that it contains 6 devices.
- Clicking on Executive shows that it contains 2 devices.
The example is now complete. We've created 6 new management groups, one of those with a rule that uses the device name and the other 5 using the OU group the device belongs to. We've then evaluated the rules to populate the management groups with matching devices. At the same time this has synchronized the information with the Explorer application so we can now filter the devices displayed on the Devices table.