- Create a Task Sequence following the guidelines for creating a WSA Wipe and Load Non-destructive Task Sequence.
- Create an empty Collection that will be targeted with a deployment of the WSA Wipe and Load Non-destructive Task Sequence
- Deploy the WSA Wipe and Load Non-destructive Task Sequence created in step 1 to the empty Collection created in step 2.The deployment should be configured as Available (not Required), and scheduled to become available 10 years in the future as indicated below. This prevents the deployment from appearing in Software Center until the available date, thereby preventing the user from executing the task sequence outside of the Windows Servicing Assistant.
Creating the Wipe and Load Non-destructive WSA Deployment Application
- In the Shopping Admin Console, right-click the Applications node and from its context menu, choose New Windows Servicing Assistant Deployment.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next.
On the General Details screen:
- Select Wipe and Load Non-destructive from the Type of Windows Servicing Deployment drop-down.
- In the Name field, enter the name of this application as you want it to appear to the end user in the wizard.
- Optionally, enter a brief description in the Description field (note that the description, cost and icon are never displayed to the end user for WSA Deployment Applications).
- Click Next.
On the SMS/Config Mgr collection screen:
- Select the Collection that the Wipe and Load Task Sequence was deployed to (see Preparation above).
- From the Deployment drop-down, select the deployment that was created to deploy the Wipe and Load Task Sequence to the Collection selected previously.
- Click Next.
On the Permissions screen:
- If you want this Wipe and Load Deployment to be available to everyone, click Next (i.e. do not restrict the deployment to any users or computers).
- If you want to restrict this Wipe and Load Deployment to specific users, click Add (to the right of the User Permissions list) and add the user or group that you want to restrict access to. Repeat to add multiple users or groups.
- If you want to restrict this Wipe and Load Deployment to specific computers, click Add (to the right of the Machine Permissions list) and add the computer or group that you want to restrict access to. Alternatively, click Add OU to add an OU that contains the computers that you want to restrict access to. Repeat as appropriate to add multiple computers, groups or OUs.
- On the Completing the Windows Servicing Assistant Deployment Wizard screen, click Finish.
Configuring the Wipe and Load (Non-destructive) WSA Deployment
Once the Wipe and Load (Non-destructive) WSA Deployment has been created, it may be necessary to configure additional properties that are applicable specifically to Wipe and Load (Destructive) deployments.
In the Shopping Admin Console, select the Applications node and double-click the Wipe and Load (Non-destructive) WSA application you just created (it will be listed under WSA as shown below – use the search feature if necesary) to open the Properties dialog.
We are going to walk you through the each of the tabs in the Properties dialog for the Wipe and Load (Non-destructive) Deployment and show you what the respective settings do and how they impact the behavior of the deployment in terms of the user experience. There is a masterclass on how to create the deployment at the end of this section.