Applications not subject to migration rules behave differently depending on the type of migration.
- For a computer refresh, no-rule applications are removed
- For an in-place upgrade, no-rule applications are retained
- For a new-build machines, you can view the results of your application installations by Management Groups or device attributes. These application installations are subject to Role-based Application Sets.
Previewing applications installed on existing machines post-migration
When you preview a machine, you will be able to see the following information:
- The Management Group that this machine is associated with
- The products installed on the machine along with their usage statistics
- Migration rule statuses:
- No rule – if a rule has not been set up
- Rules for Retain, Replace, Upgrade – if a rule has been set up
- Conflict – if there are conflicting rules for that particular product
- Applications on the machine which are excluded
- Applications on the machine which have not been normalized
To get a post-migration preview of an existing machine:
- Under the Application Migration menu, click Preview Machine.
- Click Existing Machine.
- Choose the type of deployment you want (Wipe and Load or In-place upgrade).
- In DOMAIN NAME, start typing the name of the domain – a list matching your string is dynamically displayed for you to choose from.
- In MACHINE NAME, start typing the name of a machine – a list matching your string is dynamically displayed for you to choose from.
Behavior of the post-migration preview screen and table
In our example, we are going to preview the Wipe and load post-migration application state for DEV25-CLIENT03 which is in the DEV26.local domain.
Just as soon as you have selected DEV25-CLIENT03 for the MACHINE NAME, notice the following:
The Global Management Group is identified – DEV25-CLIENT03 is member of this Management Group. If a machine is a member of more than one Management Group, they will be identified under the Management groups heading. Below this heading, is the details table which is made up of:
The Normalized tab
The Normalized tab displays a list of applications for DEV25-CLIENT03 which have a corresponding item in the 1E Catalog. The table in this tab displays a preview of the post-OS application migration state for a Wipe and load deployment. For each application in the table, you will be able to identify:
- The rules associated with it under the Rules column. Rules confirm to a specific behavior for different deployment types.
- Its usage statistics under the Usage column
- Details about the application user the Vendor, Title, Version, Colloquial Version and Edition columns
- What actions you may need to put in place under Actions column. These actions may involve adding rules, managing rules or resolving conflicts.
However, if you decided to preview the In-place upgrade post-migration application state for DEV25-CLIENT03 instead, notice the following changes:
- where an application is subject to a Retain rule for the Wipe and load deployment, the rule is ignored (second row) and the application is not installed for the In-place deployment
- where an application is not subject to a rule (No rule) for the Wipe and load deployment, it is retained (last row) for the In-place deployment
The Exclusions tab
The Exclusions tab displays all excluded applications for DEV25-CLIENT03.
The Non-normalized tab
The Non–normalized tab displays all unmatched source applications for DEV25-CLIENT03. You can add an item from this list to the Catalog by clicking Normalize under its action column.
Previewing applications to be installed on new-build machines
Not only can you preview the post-migration application status for existing machines that are subject to an in-place upgrade or a computer refresh, you can also get a preview of applications that are to be installed on new-build machines. Being able to preview application installed on new-build machines gives you the opportunity to fine-tune by modifying the application rules or the applications associated with Role-Base Application sets before you carry out the production builds.
This feature works by evaluating the combination of business rules assigned to a particular Management Group and the rule-based application sets you create and associate with Management Groups.
To preview the applications to be installed on new-build machines:
- Under the Application Migration menu, click Preview Machine.
- Click New Machine.
- You can choose to view the new machine by Management Group or by its device attributes.
- If you choose to view By Management groups:
- On the Preview Machine screen, select the Management group option.
- In MANAGEMENT GROUP start typing the name of a Management Group. A list matching your search string is displayed for you to choose from.
- The table updates to show the applications to be installed on new builds adhering to the business rules assigned to that Management Group and the Role-based Application Sets you create and associate with it. You can choose more than one Management Group to preview as in our illustration above. If the list of applications to be installed are incorrect, you can always update the Role-Based Application Set you created and run the preview again.
- If you choose to preview by Device attributes:
- On the Preview Machine screen, select the By device attributes option.
- You only need to know the details of any one of the three machine attributes (Machine Name, Active Directory Site, Organisation Unit) to retrieve the list of applications that are to be installed on new builds.
- The table updates to show the applications to be be installed on new machines associated the values for the machine attributes.
- We create the MG1 Management Group with the following rules:
- Active Directory site name is AD1
- Machine name contains dev
- Organizational Unit is engU
- On the Preview Machine screen, we start typing the name of a machine, the AD site or the OU. In our illustration, we have populated the machine attribute fields with the values from the business rule we created for the MG1 Management Group.
- The table updates to show the applications to be installed on new builds adhering to the business rules assigned to that Management Group and the Role-based Application Sets you create and associate with that Management Group.