Welcome to the Application Migration 3.0 documentation space. Here we describe all aspects of configuring and using Application Migration. Here's a quick overview of what the Application Migration documentation pages will tell you.
A brief overview of Application Migration.
- Preparation — Application Migration is implemented as an application that runs on the Tachyon 5.0 platform, which includes SLA and 1E Catalog components. The Tachyon 5.0 platform must be installed before installing Application Migration. Refer to Implementing Tachyon for more details.
- Requirements — A list of all the platforms supported by Application Migration and the software required to allow Application Migration to be installed and work correctly.
- Installation — How to install Application Migration either interactively or from the command-line. This page also shows how to install the Task Sequence Tools.
- Upgrading Application Migration — How to upgrade Application Migration and Task Sequence tools in various scenarios.
You can use the Application Migration pages to manage the migration of applications from one system, or one version of a system to another.
- Getting started with Application Migration — An outline of the steps you need to take after installing Application Migration to get you migrating applications through your OS Deployment Task Sequences.
- Application Migration roles — Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) is a new feature in Tachyon platform 5.0 to enable administrators to control which Tachyon applications, tasks and data are accessible to specific users. This page outlines the roles associated with using and managing Application Migration and how they are configured.
- Getting data into Application Migration — Application Migration pulls inventory data from Configuration Manager using the System Center Configuration Manager Connector in Tachyon. This page explains how to set up the Configuration Manager Connector, perform a data synchronization on-demand and schedule synchronization.
- Using the Installations page — The Installations page is the main Application Migration page where you can view which applications are installed in your environment, how frequently they're used, and if rules to migrate them have been defined. On this list you can also create and modify migration rules and exclude applications that you're not interested in.
- Managing migration rules — Migration rules are used to define what happens to previously installed applications during an OS deployment. These rules can include usage criteria, allowing you to choose to only install previously installed applications if they were being used, or perhaps replace a rarely used application with a less costly alternative.
- Managing product exclusions — Products can be excluded from consideration by Application Migration, helping you to focus on the important products and minimizing effort during the Application Migration workflow.
- Previewing post-OS migration application states — Before deploying the OS Deployment Task Sequence, you can preview the effect that Application Migration will have on the software installed on a device. This can be for existing or new build devices. This is done from Preview Device, where you can see the following menu items:
- Role Based Application Sets — A Role Based Application Set defines a set of applications that should be installed on a computer for a user performing a particular role, or perhaps working at a particular location.
- Setting the application installation sequence — In some cases, when some applications are installed together they need to be installed in a certain order. You can do this in Application Migration by adding the applications that have specific installation order constraints to the Application installation sequence.
- Using Application Migration in a task sequence — The actual process of migrating applications is performed during an OS deployment task sequence in Configuration Manager.
A general methodology for investigating issues with Application Migration, as well as identifying key issues and their resolutions.
- Known issues — Lists of the current known issues with implementing, configuring, and using Application Migration.
- Supported Platforms — A list of all the platforms supported by Application Migration and the software required to allow Application Migration to be installed and work correctly.
- 1E Companion Products — A list of the feature dependencies between Application Migration and other 1E companion products.
- Communication Ports — Diagrams and links to tables for all the external communication ports used by Tachyon and locally installed consumer applications. Useful, if needed, for configuring network and device firewalls.
- Installer properties — A list of the Windows installer properties for the Application Migration installer.
- Get migration settings — Provides support for encryption in PBA. Also enables PBA to be used for computer replace scenarios. This task can be configured to run under either the capture phase or the restore phase. Its behavior differs depending on which phase it's run under.
- Release notes