Welcome to the Application Migration 8.0 documentation space. Here we describe all aspects of configuring and using Application Migration. Here's a quick overview of what the Application Migration documentation pages will tell you.
Introducing Application Migration
A brief overview of Application Migration.
Implementing Application Migration
- Design Considerations — Information that will help you design and plan the implementation of Application Migration in your organization.
- Requirements — Application Migration is implemented as an application that runs on the Tachyon Platform 8.0, which includes SLA and 1E Catalog components. Please refer to Tachyon Platform 8.0 - Implementing Tachyon Platform for more details.
- Installation — Interactive installation of Application Migration using Tachyon Setup, with screenshots.
- Post-install configuration — Steps to configure Tachyon after installation of Application Migration.
- Upgrading Application Migration — How to upgrade Application Migration and Task Sequence tools in various scenarios.
Using Application Migration
You can use the Application Migration pages to manage the migration of applications from one system, or one version of a system to another.
- Getting started with Application Migration — An outline of the steps you need to take after installing Application Migration to get you migrating applications through your OS Deployment Task Sequences.
- Using the Installations page — On the Installations page you can view installed applications in your environment, see how frequently they're used, and whether migration rules exist. You can also create and modify migration rules and exclude applications you're not interested in.
- Managing migration rules — Migration rules are used to define what happens to previously installed applications during an OS deployment. These rules can include usage criteria, allowing you to choose to only install previously installed applications if they were being used, or perhaps replace a rarely used application with a less costly alternative.
- Managing product exclusions — Products can be excluded from consideration by Application Migration, helping you to focus on the important products and minimizing effort during the Application Migration workflow.
- Previewing post-OS migration application states — Before deploying the OS Deployment Task Sequence, you can preview the effect that Application Migration will have on the software installed on a device. This can be for existing or new build devices. This is done from Preview Device, where you can see the following menu items:
- Role Based Application Sets — A Role Based Application Set defines a set of applications that should be installed on a computer for a user performing a particular role, or perhaps working at a particular location.
- Setting the Install Sequence for applications — In some cases, when some applications are installed together, they need to be installed in a certain order. You can do this in Application Migration by adding applications that have specific installation order constraints to the Install Sequence.
- Using Application Migration in a task sequence — The actual process of migrating applications is performed during an OS deployment task sequence in Configuration Manager.
A general methodology for investigating issues with Application Migration, as well as identifying key issues and their resolutions.
- Known issues — Lists of the current known issues with implementing, configuring, and using Application Migration.
- Supported Platforms — A list of all the platforms supported by Application Migration and the software required to allow Application Migration to be installed and work correctly.
- 1E Companion Products — A list of the feature dependencies between Application Migration and other 1E companion products.
- Communication Ports — Diagrams and links to tables for all the external communication ports used by Tachyon and locally installed consumer applications. Useful, if needed, for configuring network and device firewalls.
- Installer properties — A list of the Windows installer properties for the Application Migration installer.
- 1E task sequence actions — TS-1E OSD-AppMig.png
- Release notes
Copyright and trademark notices
All rights reserved. No part of this document or of the software (“the software”) to which it relates shall be reproduced, adapted, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without permission from 1E Ltd. It is the responsibility of the user to use the software in accordance with this document and 1E Ltd shall not be responsible if the user fails to do so. Although every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this document, 1E Ltd and the authors assume no responsibility for errors or omissions, nor shall they be liable for damages resulting from any information in it.
1E, the 1E device, TACHYON, APPCLARITY, ACTIVEEFFICIENCY, NIGHTWATCHMAN, NOMAD BRANCH, NOMAD ENTERPRISE, PXE EVERYWHERE, DROWSY and DROWSY SERVER are trademarks belonging to 1E Ltd. 1E is registered in the UK, EU and the US. The 1E device is registered in the UK, EU, Australia and the US. NIGHTWATCHMAN is registered in the EU and the US. Nomad is registered in the EU and the US. DROWSY is registered in the UK. DROWSY SERVER is registered in the US.
MICROSOFT, WINDOWS, WINDOWS 7, WINDOWS VISTA, WINDOWS XP, SMS, CONFIGURATION MANAGER, INTERNET EXPLORER are all trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.