Introducing Tachyon Explorer
Implementing Tachyon Explorer
Using Tachyon Explorer
Using tags in question coverage
On the Actions to set tags - tutorial page we set the tags for the devices belonging to a number of departments in our organization. Now we're going to extend the example to deal with a particular scenario and show how the tags can be used when defining the coverage for a question.
In our environment we've just rolled out a software package for a product called Sales Application, this application is used by a number of departments - but we've realized that the Finance department use some extra features of the application that requires a special license. So we urgently want to find if the device in the Finance department has the software installed and apply the special license to only that device.
To find the device we want to treat we will ask the question What versions of <appname> are installed?
Using device tags
For our example the user Tachyon_admin1, with the Tachyon Full Administrator role, is going to run the question to locate if the Sales Application is on the Finance department device.
- Tachyon_admin1 types Which versions into the Explorer field and then selects What versions of <appname> are installed? from the list of matching questions.
- Once the question is loaded they set the <appname> inline parameter to Sales Application, the application they want to track down.
- They then click on the Edit link to expand the Parameters rollout, click on Coverage to expand that heading and then on Device Tags to display the coverage tags controls.
- They select Department from the Select key dropdown list, and Finance from the Select value dropdown list (populated when Department was selected) and click Set to save the coverage to the question.
- Having set the coverage they then click Ask this question, which will ask the question of just those devices with the selected tag set.
- The responses in our example shows the connected finance devices has the Sales Application software.
We can now target the 1ETRNW73.1etrn.local device outside of Tachyon with the special license update.
In this tagging example we've seen how Extended Properties administrators define the properties that can be used for tagging, as described in Adding properties - tutorial. We've seen in turn how those tags can be set on Tachyon client devices by an actioner, as described in Actions to set tags - tutorial. Finally, on this page we've seen how those tags can be used to define the coverage for a question and help to target otherwise unassociated devices simply and effectively.